The BIM Field Trip – Construction Layout Solutions for Building Contractors
Take your construction layout to the next level with best-in-class construction robots, scanning total station robots and supporting software solutions. By combining hardware solutions such as high-precision robotic total stations and/or the innovative multistation with full featured field and office software, you can utilize 2D workflows or create advanced 3D workflows that streamline and optimize construction layout.
- For fast and easy layout work, choose the Leica iCON robot 50 total station and intuitive iCONstruct field software. The robotic total station can be operated by a single person from the field controller at the prism pole at the point you need positioning. Alternatively, upgrade your layout capabilities with the new Leica iCON robot 60 total station, which offers advanced tracking, innovative lock-and-find mechanisms and software that is perfectly tailored to each step in your workflow.
- For a new level of versatility in BIM workflows, consider the innovative “BIM One Box” Leica Nova MS50 MultiStation. With a single instrument, you can capture pre-construction as-built point cloud data, replicate highly accurate BIM layout points in the field, and then capture high-definition point clouds for quality assurance comparisons with as-designed models in a complete 3D BIM lifecycle. Point clouds are automatically registered and oriented, creating a streamlined workflow to bring disconnected (no overlap) point clouds of problem areas into CloudWorx for Navisworks with zero post-processing.
Data prep for layout is a snap with Leica Geosystems solutions. Whether starting with paper, 2D or 3D, you can find a workflow that works best for you:
- If you’re starting with paper, you can easily sketch the foundation or footings and add layout points directly in field software such as Leica iCON Build. This type of digital layout is an excellent on-ramp into the BIM process.
- If you’re starting with a CAD file, you can create layout points using software such as MS Point Prep for highly accurate replication in the field. Point Prep makes it easy to create coordinates, input plan data from paper plans, create point patterns, compute offset points, create DTM models and prepare as-built drawings.
- If starting with Revit, Leica Building Link has tools for adding construction layout points to lines, objects and parametric families for accurate layout points with X, Y and Z values directly from the coordinated model.
For more information about these solutions or to schedule a consultation, please contact us.